The Randomness Continues

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Occasionally I find an article that catches my eye. Not because it is interesting or particulary well written, but because it is so stupid. I find myself stopping to read these incredibly stupid articles, even though I know they are a waste of time. Today I saw an article that made me scratch my head.

Peter Coors, a Republican senate candidate is hoping to lower the national drinking age from 21 to 18. Personally, I think that is a good idea, considering at the age of 18 you can vote and join the military. I'm not the first one to think of that. Yet, Mr. Coors (also the owner of the Coors beer company.. coincedince?) came up with an even better reason than that. "Young people drink anyway and the government has made them criminals." So-- is he saying, because people already break the law, we should change it so they don't have to? Wait a minute, I was under the impression that teenage drinkers are "criminals" because there is a law that says they aren't allowed to drink. But apparently that isn't the case. From what Mr. Coors says, they're drinking anyways, so we should make is easier for them by lowering the drinking age to 18. Who wins from this? Not the government, they will now have more people legally drinking, then doing other illegal things, like driving drunk. Teenagers? No, they just get drunk and become stupid (NOTE: It's a proven fact that drinking alcohol makes one fat, stupid, and causes you to belch a lot. According to The Simpsons, atleast). Beer companies? Hmmm. They are the only ones who seem to benefit from this. The drinking age is lowered, more people are allowed to drink, more money for them.

So in the end, my theory is that Peter Coors is just looking out for 18-21 year olds, and trying to keep them from becoming criminals, by making the illegal act they were doing, legal! The only comparisons that come to my mind are such great American heroes as Abraham Lincoln and George Washington. Hey, now I've got an idea! 11.6% of the total US population is addicted or abuses drugs! That's almost 34 million people! That is a lot of people! I bet many of those people are considered "criminals" by the mean old government. It isn't fair for the mean old goverment to make laws that prohibit those people from doing drugs! So lets just make all drugs legal! Thank you Peter Coors, for opening my eyes!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home